The National Weather Service forecasts today’s wind chill indexes across the state. Courtesy/NWS The National Weather Service forecasts today’s high in Los Alamos in the mid teens to lower 30s. Caution advised on area lakes. Tonight’s low around zero to 15. Courtesy/NWS
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
BW Offshore has signed an interim agreement for a six year extension for FPSO Sendje Berge with Addax Petroleum Exploration Ltd, an affiliate of the Sinopec Group.The firm period has been extended to Q1 2018, with options until Q1 2020. The agreement secures operational continuity while awaiting final contract approval by Nigerian authorities.BW Offshore is a leading global provider of floating production services to the oil and gas industry. It is the world’s second largest contractor with a fleet of 14 FPSOs and 1 FSO represented in all major oil regions world-wide.BW Offshore, March 25, 2014
The Ministry of Justice has announced a review of the way the £2bn legal aid budget is delivered which could see separate civil and criminal funds run by different bodies. The review came as legal aid lawyers warned that firms providing social welfare work are at risk of collapse because of the ‘artificial’ way work is being distributed by the Legal Services Commission. Legal aid minister Lord Bach has appointed Sir Ian Magee, a former permanent secretary at the Department for Constitutional Affairs, to look at ways of optimising value for money in the way legal aid is administered. Bach said: ‘The time is right to review the channels through which legal aid is delivered. It’s 10 years since the LSC was established and there has been considerable change in the type of legal aid and services people want.’ He told the Gazette he was ‘ruling nothing out and nothing in’. However, he said he would be surprised if the LSC ceased to exist, but said it could work alongside another body, with one administering the criminal budget, and the other the civil budget. The two budgets could be ringfenced. An LSC spokesman said it would be working closely with Sir Ian to inform his review. Law Society president Robert Heslett said the legal aid system needed to be ‘reviewed urgently’. He added that the Society is conducting a review of access to justice, and it would be engaging with Magee’s review. Meanwhile, Chancery Lane has warned that the LSC’s policy of capping the number of new social welfare cases or ‘matter starts’ that a firm can take on could cause some firms to collapse. Richard Miller, Law Society head of legal aid, said he had been receiving calls from solicitors who had already exceeded their annual allocation of new social welfare matter starts, particularly in the Midlands. Firms will not receive their next allocation until the new civil contract next October. Miller said firms could be forced to lay off staff or close departments and will be experiencing major cashflow problems ‘that could be fatal’. ‘The overall effect will damage the supply of social welfare advice to vulnerable clients, to which Lord Bach has shown so much commitment,’ he said. Nicola Mackintosh of legal aid firm Mackintosh Duncan questioned why the LSC was ‘artificially limiting the number of clients who can get access to justice’ by allocating firms only a set number of new cases. The LSC spokesman said it would look to reallocate any surplus matter starts from firms not likely to use all of theirs, but its budget was reaching its limit and it could not expand the overall number of cases.
Wasel used its own 500-tonne capacity 1500-8., and mobilised an identical crane model from Cologne-based crane rental company HKV Schmitz + Partner, to shorten two 138 m tall electricity pylons, so that their mastheads could be rebuilt.The two cranes had to work in unison, on opposite sides of the river, said Liebherr. Before dismantling the upper crossbeams, the transmission lines were simultaneously detached from both masts and lowered to a height of roughly 50 m, where they were temporarily suspended on the masts’ framework. Shipping traffic on the river was completely suspended during this phase of the project.Over the course of two days industrial climbers and crane crews dismantled the old mastheads and steel framework, before erecting new mastheads standing 100 m tall.”The corner posts of the masts had significantly more mass than the calculations predicted,” said Björn Kröger, project manager at Amprion. “Nevertheless, all lifts proceeded as planned, only the burn-through of the steel structure took more time than expected.” www.liebherr.comwww.wasel-krane.de
Des Hudson and Avtar Bhatoa’s remarks (Hudson: bar strike would ‘damage profession’) will, regrettably, be music to Whitehall’s ears. The criminal bar does not want to strike. Over a number of years, we have lobbied and campaigned in the public interest against reforms and cuts that we believe are undermining and diluting the quality of our criminal justice system. There must come a point when, as a profession, we say ‘enough is enough’. We still hope that will be avoided. Nowhere in my speech at our annual dinner did I criticise the solicitors’ profession. But as with the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders bill, the Law Society has once again taken the misguided stance that attacking barristers’ fees will somehow improve their position. It won’t. It is playing into the government’s hands if we are unable to stand together and agree as an entire profession that the criminal justice system is under severe threat. The Criminal Bar Association is not hostile to solicitors; we recognise the important role they play in the justice system. Attacking each other and allowing ourselves to appear so openly divided will only make it more difficult for us to achieve the high-quality and sustainable criminal justice system which the public deserves. No one will benefit from this. Max Hill QC, Chairman, Criminal Bar Association
Defence secretary Philip Hammond may be prepared to introduce legislation to prevent what he calls the ‘encroachment of judicial processes’ into the armed forces.Speaking in the House of Commons yesterday, Hammond said current cases involving the military are potentially hampering operations.Families were given the right to sue the Ministry of Defence following Smith and Others v Ministry of Defence , known as the Snatch Land Rover case, when the Supreme Court ruled that British troops remain within the UK jurisdiction and so fall under the Human Rights Act.A subsequent report, entitled Fog of War, by the thinktank Policy Exchange subsequently warned the armed forces risked being ‘paralysed’ by a sustained legal assault that could have ‘catastrophic consequences’ for the safety of the nation.Hammond has now indicated he is sympathetic to that point of view and is ready to change the law to support it. ‘There are issues about the encroachment of judicial processes into the operation of the armed forces,’ he said.‘A number of cases currently before the courts, or pending, could have a significant impact, and we are watching them closely. We are clear that once we commit our armed forces to combat, they must be able to carry out operations without fear of constant review in the civil courts. ‘If we find that the current cases develop in a way that makes that difficult, we will come back to the House with proposals to remedy the situation.’The Policy Exchange report said 5,827 claims were brought against the MoD in 2012/13 with an average £70,000 paid to the 205 people who made successful claims.According to the report, the main weapon used in legal challenges to UK military operations is the European Convention on Human Rights and the 1998 Human Rights Act.At the Conservative Party conference last September home secretary Theresa May said the Conservatives were prepared to withdraw from the ECHR entirely.
Firms must explore the option of setting up low-cost centres to avoid the ‘real danger’ of becoming progressively less competitive, new research suggests.A study by consultancy Jomati has found that, although the number of firms that have so far chosen to operate low-cost centres are in the minority, more will go down this route, with savings becoming increasingly apparent.The report says while clients have not shown much interest in whether firms are northshoring or offshoring, they clearly care if firms are able to offer more for less, which these low-cost centres can help them achieve.It said: ‘At some point in the future, it is likely that client sentiment will change, and delivery models that are currently regarded as “nice to have” will become a “non-negotiable must have”.’The report showed low-cost centres used for back-office staff are able to achieve cost savings of more than 50% on rent and 30% on salaries.Meanwhile the low-cost centres for legal work can give clients discounts of 30-50% compared with main office rates, enabling firms to win work that would previously have been uneconomical to undertake. The savings for the low-cost legal centres come from requiring fee-earners to be generalists, offering flexible employment options to minimise costs during quiet periods and not replicating the firm’s partnership structure.Part of the reasons firms gave for setting up low-cost legal centres was as a defensive strategy in anticipation of increased competition from new market entrants, and to create new ways of delivering legal services.It noted that while most firms that have set up low-cost centres are large US- or UK-headquartered firms, with more than 1,000 lawyers globally, there are now signs that firms in other locations and with lower headcounts were starting to go down this route. It cited three firms with less than 400 lawyers which have also opened centres.The study said the fact that firms were implementing this sort of change, alongside other changes such as offering contracted lawyer services, undermines the common justification for inaction that the ‘law is different’.It predicted that ultimately traditional law firms could transform themselves into entities, almost identical to new market entrant competitors. But it said this evolution is likely to take years, meaning firms have a window of opportunity to explore their options.But it added: ‘As alternative providers continue to become ever more established, and as an ever-increasing number of law firms also seek to capitalise on the efficiency improvements they have introduced, it is unlikely that this window of opportunity for reform will remain open forever.’ Tony Williams, principle at Jomati, said: ‘There’s now a real sense of momentum among traditional law firms to update many of their longstanding working practices. Of course, the challenges of doing so should not be underestimated […] they must deliver – often significant – operational change while also keeping their existing clients and fee-earners happy.’’Despite this challenge, it’s likely that there will be ever-increasing convergence in the way that legal services are delivered, as approaches previously considered alternative gain widespread credibility and acceptance among traditional law firms.’
Share Share Tweet Share Sharing is caring! LocalNews Prime minister and opposition leader to consult on appointment of new president by: – August 14, 2012 31 Views 5 comments President Dr. Nicholas J. O. Liverpool, D.A.H Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit and Opposition Leader Hector John are expected to meet on Wednesday, 15th August, 2012 for discussion on a new president for Dominica.Current President Dr. Nicholas J. O. Liverpool, D.A.H was sworn in on October 2nd, 2003 and consented to serve as President for a second term in 2008; however, due to ill health he will demit office one year earlier.According to the constitution of the Commonwealth of Dominica, “Whenever the office of the President is vacant or the term of office of the president is due to expire within not more than ninety days, the Prime Minister shall consult with the Leader of the Opposition as to their nomination of a suitable candidate for election as President”.Opposition leader, Hector John confirmed to Dominica Vibes News that he received an invitation to meet with the Prime Minister and that he will attend this meeting.However, he did not give any indication as to who his nominee is.Media reports indicate that retired public servant and chairman of the Independent Regulatory Commission, Eluid Williams was offered the position however he has not confirmed or denied this report. The meeting is expected to take place at 10:00am. Dominica Vibes News
Share 147 Views no discussions NewsRegional Trinidad judge released on TT$5,000 bail by: CMC – December 16, 2014 Sharing is caring! Tweet Vice president of the Industrial Court, Ramchand LutchmedialPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – The vice president of the Industrial Court, Ramchand Lutchmedial, will re-appear in court on January 12 next year after he was released on TT$5,000 after pleading not guilty to a charge of failing to submit a specimen of breath for a breathalyser test last Friday.Lutchmedial, who was represented by a team of lawyers, including his daughter, Jayanti Lutchmedial, otherwise stood silent in the Tunapuna Magistrates’ Third Court when he appeared before Magistrate Bramanand Dubey on Monday.Police allege that the judge was stopped last Friday night in Chaguanas, in Central Trinidad during a routine police exercise, but failed to provide a specimen of breath when he was asked to do so.One of his attorneys, Yaseen Ali noted that his client had a “well published” job in the legal fraternity as an Industrial Court judge and had been a long standing member of the bar as he had been practising for the past 36 years.Ali also noted that because of this, his client had no previous matters before the courts nor convictions, and therefore he asked that the judge be granted bail and be “allowed to leave on his own cognisance”.Ali also noted that Lutchmedial’s driver’s permit had been taken away from him on Friday night by officers at the scene, an act which is contrary to regulations. However, he did submit that it had been returned to his client earlier that evening.The attorney also asked for disclosure and for a “speedy trial date”. Share Share